Monday, June 4, 2007

Top of Gold Anecdote

Top of Gold is one of the newer clubs in the Quezon Ave/Timog Ave area. I don't really have time for a full story right now, but I just wanted to relate a very strange conversation I had with Paula, one of their star girls there.

Paula is not a super-pretty girl; by TOG standards, she's fairly plain. She makes up for this by being aggressive to the point of being scary when on-stage. She's the only bar-girl I've ever seen who dances to pre-Black album Metallica, and she's the only performer in TOG who could do any vagina tricks.

So I was sitting there having a beer with her and enjoying the fact that there was absolutely nothing I could say to this girl that she would be freaked out by. (Technically speaking, any bar-girl will have a much higher threshold for impolite conversation than a random girl-off-the-street, but I've learned from experience that there are a whole bunch of different things that you don't want to be discussing with them.) Within a few minutes we were talking about what her first time felt like, her favorite sexual positions, what she does with her regular guests, etc. Then I asked her what kind of tattoo she had, which traditionally is how you get a bar-girl to flash you.

Imagine my surprise when she replied, "Yuck noh, wala ako nun." (Yuck, I don't have one of those.)
To which I asked, "Ows? Baket naman?" (Really? Why not?)
"Parang andumi tignan e." (It looks dirty.)

It's hard to appreciate how strange a statement this is unless you actually saw Paula in action during big nights. This was a girl who smoked cigarettes and squirted beer from her vagina, danced naked with a python wrapped around her arms and waist, gave guests blowjobs in the dressing room ... and yet apparently thought tattoos were dirty. I might be overthinking the situation too much, but it does seem to imply that bar-girls can in fact be sexually adventurous without being particularly daring anywhere else. (On the other hand, maybe she just has a fear of needles.)

I've personally known bar-girls who lug Harry Potter books along to the showroom with them to pass the time (CJ from Stardust), or whose idea of a good night was a warm cup of mami and a good DVD (Kate from TOG). (I mean, that's boring even by my standards.) The likely explanation is that they go to the opposite side of the spectrum when they're outside of the bars to kinda balance out their lives. But I digress.

Catch Paula in action at TOG on Fridays or Saturday nights (depending on the size of the crowd). Just don't sit too close to the stage.

No comments: